State Street Village
State Street Village (SSV) is the newest residence hall at IIT, completed in 2003. Helmut Jahn, a German-American architect of Murphy/Jahn Architects and an architecture alumnus of IIT, designed the building. The complex features three five-story buildings that face State Street.
- 367 beds in two suite-style buildings and one apartment-style building
- Suite-style means that two students share a room, and they share the bathroom with two other student.
- Fifth-floor lounge in each building
- Two fifth-floor outdoor terraces with panoramic views of downtown Chicago
- Guarded 24 hours a day by community desk assistants. Students use their student IDs both to enter through the front door and to pass the front desk.
- Extensive audio/visual displays in the main lounges feature a 50" HDTV plasma display, surround sound, DVD player, carousel CD player, and terrace speakers.
- Temperature controls per suite and a complete furniture package including bed, desk, dresser, and desk chair.
- Each floor has a laundry room and small kitchen with a stove, oven, refrigerator, and microwave.
McCormick Student Village
McCormick Student Village (MSV) is a complex of student resident halls on Main Campus. There are six halls, or wings, that house about 700 students in what is referred to as "communal style living" — each floor shares the restrooms.
- Entrance is through central doors, guarded 24 hours a day by community desk assistants.
- Students use their student IDs both to enter through the front door and to pass the front desk
- Resident room sizes are approximately equal except in Fowler Hall, which has substantially bigger rooms allotted for upperclassmen
- Larger rooms do not have air conditioning
- Most rooms are set up as doubles, with two desks, two chairs, two beds, four dressers, and two T3 Internet connections.
- Laundry facilities available in the basement below most wings
- All rooms have cable TV access
Each floor has a resident adviser who organizes social and academic programming, follows up with students regarding academic concerns, enforces residence hall policies, and serves as a general resource for residents. Full-time Residence and Greek Life staff are available on call 24/7.
Visit the Residence and Greek Life page to learn more about different housing options.
Admitted Students can find directions for completing a housing contract here.