Named for University Regent Al Self and his wife, Lila, the M.A. and Lila Self Leadership Academy Scholarship is a distinguished and prestigious award given to the top applicants to the university that demonstrate exceptional leadership potential. The Selfs provided the founding gift to the Leadership Academy in 2000, and it allows the Leadership Academy to provide up to 4 incoming freshman with scholarships.
The Leadership Academy is comprised of 25 undergraduates and is led by the Executive Director, George M. Langlois, Ph.D. and the Program Manager, Rodney Vallejo, M.S. The Academy is an educational initiative aimed at developing the leadership potential of all Illinois Tech students.
Additional benefits to Leadership Academy Scholarship recipients include exclusive leadership opportunities on-campus and in the Chicago area, networking luncheons and dinners, experiential leadership development and training, and social bonding with fellow Leadership Academy Scholars. Leadership Academy Scholars will also receive a Certificate in Leadership Studies upon successful completion of the Academy's programs and activities.
- Full tuition scholarship covering 4 years of the recipient’s undergraduate education. Scholarship extends to 5 years for Architecture students.
- Applies only to full-time undergraduate students at Illinois Tech.
- Satisfactory academic progress (defined in the Illinois Tech Student Handbook as a minimum grade point average of 3.0 in each semester) is required.
- Annual renewal of the scholarship is contingent upon satisfactory academic progress and attendance at all Leadership Academy-sponsored programs, including but not limited to Saturday leadership seminars, regular scholar meetings, and sophomore leadership retreats.
- Scholars are required to actively participate on a committee of their choosing to support development of the Leadership Academy programs.
- Scholars are required to contribute 10 hours of service to community service projects officially sponsored by the Leadership Academy.
- All scholars must also adhere to university-wide codes of conduct. Students who are accused and found guilty of conduct not in keeping with the code of conduct are subject to dismissal from the Academy.
How to apply
Leadership Academy scholarship candidates must apply to Illinois Tech and must submit the following to the Office of Undergraduate Admission no later than December 1:
- Complete and submit an application for regular admission through the Common Application.
- Complete and submit the Leadership Academy Scholarship Application.
Students will be selected by the Leadership Academy staff to interview on campus Saturday, February 10, 2018.
- Your interview on February 10th is an experiential one: Leadership Academy staff will contact you to schedule your LEAD (Leadership Experience for Assessment and Development) appointment, which is a 4-hour assessment center simulation that takes place on the Illinois Tech Mies campus.
- Center for Research and Service staff will provide all participants with an individual feedback report from their LEAD session.
- Students chosen as finalists from the assessment center will then interview via phone/Skype with the Leadership Academy staff the week of February 12, 2018.
Scholarship awards will be announced the week of February 26, 2018.