Study at IIT among a diverse student body in one of the world's greatest cities - Chicago! The International Visiting and Exchange Program is for students who are enrolled as a full-time student overseas and who are interested in spending a semester or a year at IIT.
International Visiting Students
International visiting students are those who are currently attending a university and would like to study at IIT for one semester or one year on a study abroad experience. Visiting students attend universities that do not have direct exchange programs with IIT. In most cases, this means that students will be paying tuition to IIT rather than to their home universities during their study abroad period. After the completion of their study at IIT, international visiting students will return to their home institution to complete their degree. These students will not receive a degree from IIT.
Please consult the International Office at your current university for more information regarding your study abroad experience and to verify that your university does not have a direct exchange agreement with IIT.
International Exchange Students
International exchange students are those who are currently attending a university that IIT has a direct exchange agreement with. This means that students will pay tuition to their home university while they study at IIT. Exchange students may study at IIT for one semester or one year. After the completion of their study at IIT, international visiting students will return to their home institution to complete their degree. These students will not receive a degree from IIT.
Please consult the International Office at your current university for more information about your study abroad experience and to verify that you will be eligible to study at IIT on a direct exchange agreement.
IIT prides itself as a research based institutional with a wide variety of courses in over 30 majors. Each visiting and exchange student will have an academic advisor within their major to help them learn which courses are available each semester and select classes based on their previous coursework. It is important to consult with your current university before selecting classes at IIT to ensure that the courses you take during your time abroad will transfer to your degree program when you return home.
All of the courses offered at Illinois Tech are listed in the Course Bulletin. You may use this guide to determine which courses you plan to take at IIT. It is important to note, however, that not all courses listed in this bulletin are offered every semester. Some courses may only be offered in fall terms, whereas others may only be offered in the spring. Course schedules that list all of the available classes for your desired entry term will be announced in late October (for spring entry terms) or late March (for fall entry terms).
Academic Terms and Deadlines
IIT accepts applications for fall, spring and summer term.
- Fall Term runs August to December
- Spring Term runs Late January to mid-May
- Summer term runs End of May to mid-August
How To Apply
Apply as an International Visiting or Exchange Student.
- Apply online using the Application form.
- Submit official or certified copies of your transcript(s) from your current university to the IIT Office of Undergraduate Admission.
• View Transcripts requirement
- Provide an official copy of the English proficiency TOEFL or IELTS score report. The code to send your TOEFL scores to IIT is 1318.
• View English Proficiency Test requirements
- Provide a completed evaluation form or a letter of recommendation from one of your math, science, or english instructors. One letter is required but up to three are accepted. This letter should include information about your achievements and any other important information that will illustrate your potential at IIT.
- Provide a copy of your passport. A copy of your passport is needed to fulfill the visa requirements.
• View Visa requirement
- Submit IIT's Financial Affidavit of Support for J-1 Students to demonstrate that you or your sponsor have available finances to meet the educational and living expenses while you are a student at IIT.
• View Financial Affidavit of Support requirements
Finances and Scholarships
Admitted visiting students will be reviewed for a tuition scholarship of $10,000 per semester toward their studies at IIT. This scholarship can be deducted from the total amount of funds they are asked to prove on the Financial Affidavit of Support.
Admitted exchange students will be reviewed for a housing scholarship of $1,500 per semester toward on-campus housing in McCormick Student Village or Gunsaulus Hall. Since exchange students will not pay tuition directly to IIT, they will only need to demonstrate the non-tuition expenses on their Financial Affidavit of Support.
View a sample budget and costs for the 2017-2018 academic year. Students only studying at IIT for one semester may divide these figures in half to estimate their cost of attendance:
Sample budget for undergraduate students*
Room and Board: $11,840
Health Insurance: $1,441
Books and Supplies: $1,250
*These figures are only estimates. Visit the Student Accounting Office website for specifics about activity fees, health insurance and other ancillary fees.
Housing and Meal Plans
Students are strongly encouraged to live on-campus. More than 70% of our undergraduate students live on-campus. You will join a diverse group who represent nearly 100 countries and each state in America.
Need more information or want to refer a student?
If you are interested in becoming an International Visiting or Exchange student at IIT, OR if you are an educator or an alumnus who would like to recommend a student, please fill out this form to be contacted immediately.