If you have completed significant coursework in architecture or other visual courses, you must participate in a portfolio review session to determine the appropriate studio placement for you at Illinois Tech. The Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs (UGAA) will review transcripts from your previous school(s) to identify which art and architecture courses will require a portfolio review. After admission you will receive an official evaluation of transfer credit report from UGAA showing courses that are eligible for transfer credit and which courses will require a portfolio review.
After you receive the official evaluation of transfer credit report from UGAA, you may mail your portfolio for a remote review or contact the College of Architecture to schedule an in-person portfolio review.
Your portfolios must include work from all relevant art and architecture courses, including recently completed courses. Portfolio reviews will not be scheduled until all official transcripts have been submitted to Illinois Tech and we receive the official evaluation of transfer credit report from UGAA. The College reserves the right to cancel or postpone portfolio review appointments if the university has not received all required, up-to-date transcripts.
- The College accepts hard copy or electronic portfolios.
- Hard copy portfolios should measure approximately 8.5” x 11” (21.6 cm x 27.9 cm). Arrange your portfolio by course and label your work with the course number and course title.
- Each course requires a syllabus which includes a course description and a week-by-week outline of what content was covered, a list of assignments, and textbook used plus other readings required.
- The evaluation of transfer credit includes the review of content and quality of work. It is possible that two courses equate to one of ours and that a lecture course covers material that is included in one of our studios; these would be combined for credit. In all cases you must submit course credit that is at least equal to the credit hours of our courses.
- Credit is not awarded for work experience.
- A compilation of visual work, images, drawings, and photos showing either the entire course content or a sample of work that you produced for at least one-half of the semester. These should be coordinated with the course content in the syllabus.
- Midterm and final submittals should be included.
- One or two examples of work is not sufficient.
Specific to a lecture course
A compilation of assignments showing either the entire course content or a sample of work that you produced for at least one-half of the semester. These should be coordinated with the course content of the syllabus. Graded quizzes, midterm and final submittals or exams should be included.
Minimal requirements for studio placements
- For second year studio placement: at least 12 credit hours of studio, introduction to architecture, some design communications/digital courses and 6 credit hours of mathematics.
- For third year studio placement: above requirements plus an additional 12 credit hours of studio, physics, and a statics and strength of material course.
- Transfer students cannot be placed into fourth year studio; additional studio credit beyond 24 will be considered for architectural elective credit.
Portfolio review results
The results of your portfolio review will be forwarded to UGAA so they can update your official evaluation of transfer credit report. You will receive an email from the College of Architecture outlining the courses you should register for based on your portfolio review. Transfer credits will count toward the completion of your Illinois Tech degree.
Remote portfolio review (recommended)
College faculty will review portfolios and assign transfer credits to courses that meet the College’s course standards and degree requirements. We strongly recommend remote reviews since your work can be evaluated at any time during the summer, without any need for an appointment. If you prefer the remote portfolio review, please mail your portfolio and supporting documents (syllabus, sample assignments, quizzes, exams, etc.) to:
Transfer Portfolio Review Committee
College of Architecture, S.R. Crown Hall
3360 South State Street
Chicago, IL 60616
Or email your electronic portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who want their portfolios returned should arrange to pick up the portfolio upon arrival on campus.
To ensure students are registered for fall classes, the College strongly recommends that all domestic portfolio reviews be complete no later than July 31. After July 31 very limited opportunities for portfolio reviews will be available.
In-person portfolio review
In-person portfolio review appointments are generally made available during SOAR, beginning mid-July. We estimate appointments will require one hour. You may begin scheduling in-person reviews after June 1 by contacting Cynthia Torres at email@example.com or call 312.567.8835.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.