English language proficiency must be demonstrated for admission. Applicants may apply for conditional English admission. Students may select this option on the Common Application. All international applicants, excluding those who meet the criteria to have their English proficiency waived as outlined below, are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the PTE Academic Test.
If you are interested in applying for English Conditional Admission click here.
English Proficiency Exams
IIT's TOEFL code is 1318.
If you are taking the IELTS, request for your scores to be sent to us electroncially. You can also input your IELTS test number in your Illinois Tech application tracker.
The TOEFL is given in two formats: paper-based or internet-based. The following are minimum scores required depending on which format you complete. You must submit a score report from one these options. You must earn a minimum of one of the following:
TOEFL Composite of 69 or lower
|Students will be required to attend Illinois Tech's Intensive English Program and complete through level 4 before beginning academic classes. Students take an English assessment when they arrive to campus and based on their results are placed into the appropiate English level (1-4).|
TOEFL Composite of 70-89
|Students will be required to take an English assessment when they arrive to campus. Based on the results, students may be required to take PESL classes concurrently with academic classes. Students who do not demonstrate the ability to be successful in PESL courses will need to complete the Intensive English Program (IEP). Students may need to take summer academic courses to graduate within the time/semesters indicated for their academic program.|
TOEFL Composite of 90 or higher
|Meets admission criteria and no additional English assessments required.|
On the PTE Academic Test, you must earn a 53 or better.
Note: If you do not meet our minimum English proficiency requirements, or if there is other evidence which suggests you may need additional English training, you may be required to take additional English proficiency assessment measures, which will be evaluated by our professional English Language Services faculty, and could result in your being required to take a course or courses in our English language programs.
English Proficiency Requirement Waived
The English Proficiency Requirement may be waived if you:
- Completed at least two consecutive years of your education (high school equivalent) in the United States or one of the countries listed below
- Have received a score of at least 550 on the Critical Reading section of the SAT, a subscore of at least 30 on the Reading section of the redesigned SAT, or a 25 on the English section of the ACT.
- Have attended one of our partner English schools and completed the following level:
- Illinois Tech's Intensive English Program (IEP): Complete Level 4 (Advanced)
- Kaplan International Center (KIC): Complete level Advanced at any KIC location
- ELS Education Services (ELS): Complete level 112 at any ELS location
- The Language Company: Complete (TLC): Complete level 9 at any TLC location
- Stafford House International: Complete level 6 at any Stafford House location
- Transfer applicants may also have this requirement waived if they have completed a minimum of 30 credit hours at a U.S. college or university, excluding any coursework in English as a Second Language.
- Are an applicant from one of the following countries:
|Antigua and Barbuda
Trinidad and Tobago