Alumni of Illinois Institute of Technology understand the significant contributions Illinois Tech has made to their professional and personal development. With your unique experiences and familiarity with the university, alumni of Illinois Tech are well poised to share their experiences with prospective students and their families. As a member of the Illinois Tech Admission Ambassador Program, you will be representing the university in a friendly and knowledgeable way as you help prospective students learn more about Illinois Tech. While the amount of time you invest in the program is up to you, any contribution you make will help shape the future of your alma mater.
Why join the Illinois Tech Admission Ambassador Program?
You already love Illinois Tech and talk about it frequently.
You can certainly continue to do so informally, but there are so many more ways to give back.
By becoming an Illinois Tech Admission Ambassador, you can volunteer your time to Illinois Tech by:
- Attending Undergraduate Admission events throughout the year
- Referring prospective students to Illinois Tech — online form
- Communicating with admitted students (by phone, letters, email, etc.)
- Staying updated with a bimonthly newsletter from the Alumni Association
- Becoming part of the formal organization which recruits the future alumni who will continue the traditions of Illinois Institute of Technology.
- Attending regional college fairs and visiting high schools in your area
- Joining Alumni Chapters to stay connected with Illinois Tech in multiple ways
Recommend a Student to Illinois Tech
If you meet a student you think would be a great fit at Illinois Tech, please fill out the referral form and we will contact them about Illinois Tech.
If you want to get to know the counselor working with students in your community, please visit our Admission Counselor Territories.
Be sure to check out our event page to see all the ways a student can visit campus. We highly encourage students to visit campus because we are confident in the Illinois Tech student experience. If you know an interested student, please encourage them to come visit Illinois Tech so they can experience what its like to be a Scarlet Hawk for themselves! We will work with each student to help them gather as much information as possible while on campus, whether that involves meeting with an admission counselor, attending a class, or taking a campus tour.
Alumni Ambassador Spotlight
Leslie Lyons B.S. in Civil Engineering '16
Leslie Lyons was an asset to recruiting in greater Minneapolis/St. Paul this past season as she covered 3 Minnesota Education fairs, helped me organize and host a prospective student and alumni gathering, and wrote postcards to admitted students from Minnesota! Leslie was able to confirm her participation in all three fairs very early on, allowing me to schedule other travel priorities early, and helped grow our reach to schools we don't always get to attend. As a former student ambassador in the Office of Admission, Leslie always brought professionalism and enthusiasm to the job, and I have been just as impressed through working with her after graduation and her move to Minnesota. Thanks Leslie!
-Callie Brown, Minnesota Admission Counselor
- You have volunteered as an Admissions Ambassador at over 4 events, including college fairs and writing postcards to potential students. What have you enjoyed most about volunteering as an Illinois Tech Admissions Ambassador?
It wasn't that long ago that I was doing my college search and I remember just being overwhelmed. Students have so many questions and concerns about making their big decision and I love that I get to help them in that process. Answering questions at college fairs from the majors offered to my favorite on-campus meal, it is always interesting.
- Why do you think a current high school student should consider attending Illinois Tech?
Big city + Small intimate class setting = Successful students! The equation is as simply as that. Illinois Tech puts you in challenging classes to help you get ahead. After your first year, you can easily be in an internship or research program in the Windy City with all the connections you can make through professors and classmates. Alumni also benefit from these same connections after graduation.
- Why would you recommend the Admissions Ambassador program to fellow Illinois Tech alumni?
Giving your time is the easiest way to give back, and being an Admissions Ambassador doesn't take that much time at all! As an ambassador, I love that I get to share my Illinois Tech experience. Helping the university to recruit the best and brightest students also helps the Alumni that are in industry with accredited degrees. Additionally, most of the events have free food if that entices you.