Are you a pre-college high school student interested in understanding and learning more about university level research? Illinois Tech’s Paul V Galvin Library is offering a Research Methods course for high school students in the summer. The objective of this course is to provide an introductory experience to university-level research methods while developing a solid foundation for lifelong searching and evaluation skills. The goal of the program will be to introduce students to research methods at the university-level.
Experienced academic librarians will reveal components of the research process to students, who will learn how to use their critical thinking skills to write better research papers and how to improve the presentation of information. Specifically, librarians will show students how to:
- Determine the type of information needed
- Find and access information effectively and efficiently
- Evaluate information and sources of information
- Use information to accomplish a specific purpose such as a presentation speech or research paper
- Understand the ethical and legal uses of information including the economic and social issues that affect the use of information
- Discover free scholarly and research resources on the web
- Avoid plagiarism and effectively cite their sources
- Navigate primary sources and conduct research in an archival repository
Students will have the opportunity to attend classes on a Mies van der Rohe-designed campus that is convenient to public transportation and both the Stevenson and Dan Ryan Expressways.
This program is now closed. We'll be accepting applications for the Summer 2020 session in the spring.
Completion of one year of high school
July 8-11, 2019, Monday - Thursday 9 a.m. – Noon
$500, with a limited number of need-based scholarships available
Illinois Tech Mies (Main) Campus
- Work with 3D printers
- Introduction and access to a university research environment
- Experience in a research library
- Tours of campus
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org