Are you a pre-college high school student interested in combining art and visualization of data and information in creative ways? How would you explain climate change or other complex concepts in a persuasive and artistically interesting way – by creating a physical model, an infographic, a storybook? Try proving that “a picture is worth a thousand words!” The Big Data Visualization Institute is a seven-day summer program in July 2018 for Chicago high school students to learn about big data sets and creative ways to express the patterns of information to make decisions. Refer to https://ipro.iit.edu/course/summer-2018-497-318-big-data-visualization/. This experience is part of Illinois Tech’s signature Interprofessional Project (IPRO) course. More specifically, pre-college students will:
- Examine big data sets related to urban, social and technical issues, climate and the environment, social media, sports and entertainment, safety and security, healthcare, etc.;
- Develop creative ways to express patterns of information with mixed/multimedia installation, performance art, web based applications and other techniques;
- Learn how to make decisions about these issues based on the best available data;
- Work on a team alongside and be mentored by Illinois Tech undergraduate students;
- Exhibit and communicate your work in the final exhibition at IPRO Day at Illinois Tech.
Current Freshmen, Sophomore and Junior students.
July 10th – July 26th on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 1:50 to 4:15 pm AND July 27th IPRO Day exhibit event from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm.
No cost to participate.
The IIT Tower at 10 West 35th Street on the Illinois Tech Mies (Main) Campus, Room 7D3-1.
- Gain experience working on interdisciplinary teams with university students
- Enhance your resume by adding academic university experience
- Learn and apply tools and techniques for creating exciting visualizations of complex information that can inform and persuade.
Course completion does not guarantee admission to Illinois Tech.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org