To apply as a transfer student to Illinois Tech, you must first submit all application requirements. In addition, a final official transcript with all grades must be received before an admission decision can be made. You will need to make arrangements for a transcript to be mailed to the Office of Graduate Admission as soon as your final grades are posted.
Master's degree candidates may transfer a maximum of nine semester hours taken elsewhere and not applied toward any earned degree, which were passed with grades of "B" or better, subject to the approval of the academic unit and the Graduate College's Office of Academic Affairs. Students who have completed their baccalaureate degree at Illinois Tech with course credits in excess of the number of hours required for that degree, which were not applied toward the baccalaureate degree, may also be allowed to transfer up to nine of those excess hours. Course credits in excess of the nine credit hours may be used for a degree program provided the credits were not applied toward a prior degree and the student has received the permission of the adviser, the academic unit head and the Graduate College's Office of Academic Affairs prior to registering for any of the additional courses.
Doctoral degree candidates may transfer previously completed graduate work not applied toward any prior earned degree, up to a maximum of 48 semester hours of credit beyond the baccalaureate degree, or 50 percent of their total Illinois Tech Ph.D. program credit hour requirements, whichever is smaller. The work must be judged to be relevant to the current doctoral program, must have been completed with grades of "B" or better, and must be acceptable for graduate credit at the institution where taken. However, when a master's degree is transferred, only 32 hours of credit are given regardless of the number of hours required for that master's degree. The master's degree must have been granted within the previous six years. Grades for transferred credits will not be included in the student's GPA at Illinois Tech.
You must submit all application requirements. In addition, an admission decision will not be made until your final grades have been received and reviewed. Therefore, a final transcript must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admission as soon as possible after grades have been posted.
F-1 VISA HOLDERS
- Admission to Illinois Tech
- Valid F-1 status at previous school
- Enrolled as a full-time student at previous school
- Will be enrolled full-time at Illinois Tech in the first semester after leaving previous school
- Enrollment at a high school or university in the United States
- Offer of admission to Illinois Tech
- Completion of Illinois Tech's School Transfer Form and submission of completed form to Office of Graduate and Professional Enrollment
- I-20 issued to attend Illinois Tech
- Copy of I-20 form from previous school or university
- Report to the International Center within the first 15 days of classes at Illinois Tech with your passport and your I-20s issued by both Illinois Tech and the previous school
- Obtain transfer endorsement on your I-20 (issued by Illinois Tech)
J-1 VISA HOLDERS
An exchange visitor in any category may transfer from one program sponsor to another, if the objectives of the program and the category for which he or she was originally admitted do not change. The transfer is accomplished through direct correspondence between the concerned institutions.
- Valid J-1 status at previous school
- Pursuing the original objectives of the category (student, scholar, professor)
- Availability of time within the given category
- For student category, admission to Illinois Tech; for research scholars and professors, job offer/employment letter
- New DS-2019 (IAP-66) to begin program at Illinois Tech
- Transfer release on DS-2019 (IAP-66) by the current sponsor, if in the U.S.
- If you are planning to leave the country temporarily while changing program sponsors, please contact the International Center
- Report to the International Center
Current Illinois Tech Graduate Students Transferring within Illinois Tech
Students planning to transfer from one degree program to another should discuss the matter with academic advisers in both programs. The student should then submit an application, for admission into the new department, to the Office of Graduate Admission. The student will be notified once the decision is made. New letters of recommendation may be required, depending on the department. The application fee is waived for current Illinois Tech students.