Close Menu

Next Steps

Congratulations on your acceptance, and welcome to Illinois Institute of Technology!

Please review the following checklist of items all newly admitted domestic students must complete prior to the start of the academic term. We are here to help you with your preparations in any way we can. If you need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Submit your Intent to Enroll and pay your admission deposit
Final documents
Access your MyIIT Portal
Learn about student health insurance and immunization requirements
Learn about housing
Register for Orientation (SOAR)
Academic Advising and Registration
Course Descriptions and Schedule
Tuition Payments
Student Identification Cards and Parking Permits
Career Development
Academic Policies

Submit your Intent to Enroll and pay your admission deposit

We hope you will join the Illinois Tech campus and community!

View the deadlines for submitting the Intent to Enroll and deposit

Pay your deposit in the myIIT portal

A deposit is required for all students. In addition to completing the Intent to Enroll form, Stuart students must pay the $500 and every other program is $300 non-refundable tuition deposit; you pay the deposit by logging into the myIIT portal. ​Please remember this is not an additional fee. It is a down payment that will go towards your first semester tuition bill.

Why do we have a deposit?​ A deposit lets your academic department plan accordingly to give you the best academic experience possible. Not only does it show your commitment to the university, but it allows the faculty to work​ ​more closely wit​h ​you in preparation for classes.

Final Documents

Your admission to Illinois Tech was contingent on your completion of a Bachelor’s degree. 

Upon enrollment at Illinois Tech, you must present, either electronically or physically:

  • all original, final transcript(s) and/or individual mark sheets from your ​bachelor's institution
  • all diploma(s) and/or degree(s) with an official English translation, if necessary.

You have two options for submitting these documents; please select only one option:

  • Upload these document via your App Tracker in the final documents section (Spring 2016 and later admits)​ in the "Final Transcripts Required" section.
  • You may bring physical copies of your documents to the Illinois Tech One Stop, where they will scan and retain an electronic version of these documents for evaluation​, in the MTCC.​

You will retain a "Final Docs" hold on your student account until these documents are submitted. This hold will not prevent your class registration, but will restrict your ability to obtain your Illinois Tech Transcripts.  

Final documents should be submitted as soon as they are available to you, but must be submitted before you apply for graduation. Failure to provide the required documents will result in a hold of your Illinois Tech graduation diploma, your academic transcripts, and possible further action by Graduate Academic Affairs.

Access your MyIIT Portal

New Illinois Tech students receive a unique identifier (UID) that is also your Illinois Tech email username and login for Illinois Tech's networking and computing services. Your university-designated student email account will be the official means of communication between you and the university, and will be used to notify you of your financial aid award if you apply for federal financial aid. You will receive instructions via email for locating your UID and logging in to the myIIT student portal. Learn more here.

Learn About Student Health Insurance

U.S. students have the option to submit proof of equivalent insurance in lieu of Illinois Tech student health insurance. All full-time students and occupants of Illinois Tech residence halls are required to purchase Illinois Tech's student health insurance policy. Eligible students who wish to be considered for an insurance waiver must fill out the Student Health Insurance Waiver form. Part-time students, spouses of students, and/or minor children can purchase insurance, if desired. For more information, visit Student Health and Wellness Center or contact the office directly at or 312.567.7550.

Immunization Requirements

Students are required to submit proof of immunization against certain communicable diseases to the Student Health and Wellness Center. Individuals who are not properly immunized or who do not have proof of immunization may receive the required immunizations at the Student Health Center for a nominal fee. For more information, visit Student Health and Wellness Center or contact the office directly at or 312.567.7550.

Learn About Housing

As a graduate student, you have the opportunity and flexibility to live either on or off campus.

Living on campus is a great way to find support for the many challenges associated with being a busy graduate student; and residence halls provide purposefully structured environments for social and academic success. Residence and Greek Life accepts applications on a first-come, first-served basis, from part-time and full-time graduate students, including visiting and exchange students.

Students are strongly encouraged to contact Residence and Greek Life as early as possible to reserve or inquire about on-campus housing. For complete information about deadlines, on-campus, off-campus, and temporary housing options, please visit Residence and Greek Life or contact the office directly at or 312.567.5075.

Living off campus is another option, and there are many affordable options near the Main and Downtown Campuses that are accessible via public transportation:

South Commons & York Terrace
2701 South Indiana Avenue

Prairie Shore Apartments
2851 S. Martin Luther King Drive

Lake Meadows
500 East 33rd Street

International Center - University of Chicago
1414 East 59th Street

1130 S. Michigan Apartments

Presidential Towers
555 West Madison

Register for Orientation (SOAR)

Complete information about orientation activities will be posted on the Student Orientation, Advisement and Registration (SOAR) website near the beginning of the semester. Questions about orientation should be directed to

Academic Advising and Registration

All graduate students are encouraged to consult with a faculty advisor prior to registration. Some academic departments require advising before students are permitted to register, so be sure to check with your department before getting started. Your assigned academic advisor, whose name appears at the bottom of your official admission letter, can give you the unique "Alternate PIN" number you will need in order to register through the myIIT student portal.

For additional assistance with registration, visit the Registrar's Office website or contact your academic department.

Course Descriptions and Schedule

The Graduate Bulletin contains complete program and course descriptions. Course listings for upcoming semesters are posted on the course schedule search web page as they are finalized.

Tuition Payments

Tuition is due on the first day of classes each term. To learn more about tuition and fee rates, payment methods and payment plans, visit the Student Accounting Office website or contact that office directly at or 312.567.3794.

Student Identification Cards

The Access, Card, and Parking Services Office issues all university student identification cards and parking permits. All registered full- and part-time students who will be studying on campus should obtain a student identification card. Distance learning students who are interested in getting an Illinois Tech ID card should email their request to For more information about student identification cards, visit the HawkCard website or call 312.567.8968.

Parking Permits

For information about parking on campus, visit the Parking Services website or call 312.567.8968.


To purchase books and supplies for your classes, visit the Illinois Institute of Technology bookstore website or visit the store on the main level of the McCormick Tribune Campus Center at 3201 S. State Street. For more information, call 312.567.3120.

Career Development

To learn about services offered by the Career Services website or contact that office directly at or 312.567.6800.

Academic Policies

The Graduate Bulletin, online at, outlines important academic policies for graduate students.

Other Resources

  • The Chicago chapter of Hostelling International ( offers temporary, short-term accommodations. Located in the Loop at 24 East Congress Parkway, Chicago IL, 60605. Contact 312.360.0300 or
  • Neighborhoods surrounding Illinois Tech include Bronzeville, Bridgeport and South Loop. Corresponding ZIP codes are 60602, 60603, 60604, 60605, 60609, 60616, and 60653.
  • Chicago Tribune ( - Hover over “Real Estate”, select “Apartments & Condos”.
  • Chicago Reader ( - Click on “Rentals” on the right side of the home page.
  • Bridgeport News ( - Neighborhood newspaper includes listings in Bridgeport. Scroll down to the ‘For Rent’ section of the classifieds.