Rigor and Relevance. These two words describe the educational experience you will receive at IIT College of Science. Our programs are firmly grounded in science and technology, and understood within the context of politics, economics, history, and modern culture. They are challenging and academically demanding. You will graduate prepared to make a difference not only on day one, but also 25 years after you graduate.
Study in the College of Science allows you to
- Undertake a summer research project and use it to pursue graduate or medical school.
- Work in a lab with new materials while learning how to become a patent lawyer.
- Combine the study of science with the study of financial markets—one of many interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary options.
The College of Science has attracted students from around the world for more than a century.
Our graduates and students have
- Kept company with the most brilliant mathematicians and scientists of the twentieth century
- Participated in national modern-day work with neutrinos and b-quarks
- Taken part in experiments at Argonne National Laboratory’s Advanced Photon Source, the brightest X-ray light source in the western hemisphere.
- Involved themselves in a variety of activities that include bringing technology to schools in Haiti,conducting research in high-performance computing, database searching, and cybersecurity.
- The college also houses IIT Center for the Study of Ethics in the Professions.
Studies in the core disciplines include
- Applied Mathematics | View brochure
- Applied Physics | View brochure
- Astrophysics | View brochure
- Biochemistry | View brochure
- Bioinformatics | View brochure
- Biology | View brochure
- Biology and Psychology | View brochure
- Chemistry | View brochure
- Computer Information Systems | View brochure
- Computer Science | View brochure
- Molecular Biochemistry and Biophysics | View brochure
- Physics | View brochure
- Physics Education | View brochure
Special interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary, and other programs are available in a variety of areas, including science and financial markets; pre-law; pre-medicine; journalism of technology, science, and business; and pathways to professional, non-thesis science masters.
Why Chemistry at IIT?
So, why do students major in Chemistry at Illinois Tech? We took a camera crew to the labs our students conduct their experiments and asked them! Here’s what they had to say—in their own words.