The Crown Scholarship is the College of Architecture's most prestigious and selective scholarship, providing you with full tuition for five years of study at IIT. The College of Architecture seeks incoming students with exceptional potential who will be challenged by the IIT curriculum to pursue a professional commitment to excellence in architecture.
How to become a Crown Scholar
Candidates competing for the scholarship must satisfy very high selection standards. Open only to incoming first year students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, the scholarship has been awarded to candidates who demonstrate the following strengths:
- Outstanding academic achievement
- Excellent artistic skills in freehand drawing
- Involvement in extracurricular activities, demonstrating leadership and independence
Crown Scholarship candidates must apply to IIT and must submit the following to the Office of Undergraduate Admission no later than December 1:
- Complete supplemental application and mail with additional materials to the below address
- One-page essay explaining your interest in architecture.
- Original drawing - submit one 8.5"x11" freehand drawing (any subject). Drawings will be returned only when a self-addressed, pre-paid shipping envelope is provided at the time of application.
- Letter of recommendation for the Crown Scholarship, written with knowledge of candidate's creativity and leadership potential
Your application will be reviewed by College of Architecture studio faculty and representatives from the Chicago architectural community. After a review of all applications finalists will be invited to interview on campus during Scholarship Weekend. Within two weeks of the Scholarship Weekend, you will be notified if you are selected for the Crown Scholarship.
Scholarship Weekend Itinerary
- Interview with a panel of studio faculty and leading Chicago architects
- Meet current Crown students from around the country
- Take a tour of Chicago, one of the greatest cities in the world
- Learn about the opportunities within the College of Architecture by speaking with faculty and touring the facilities during Departmental Open Houses
- Learn how to get involved on campus: Varsity Sports, 33rd Street Productions, and much more
- Spend the weekend in the Residence Halls or Fraternity and Sorority Houses and see what it's like to be a student at IIT!
Questions and materials should be direct to:
Illinois Institute of Technology
Office of Undergraduate Admission
10 West 33rd Street
Perlstein Hall, Room 101
Chicago, IL 60616
Phone: 312.567.3025, or, if you are out of state, at 800.448.2329