Transfer students are those who are currently attending a college or university, or who have attended a college or university after finishing high school. We consider all students who fit either of these criteria to be transfer students, regardless of the amount of college credit completed.
- Students with fewer than 30 transferable semester hours will have to submit their high school transcripts and test scores, despite being classified as a transfer student.
- Students currently in high school and taking classes at a college or university are generally not considered transfer students and should apply as first-year/freshmen applicants.
- If you are planning to transfer from a two-year college in the Chicago area, please refer to our transfer credit guidelines. The link below provides a guide for selecting courses from partner institutions for the major of interest.
- Once you are admitted, it is important to work with your advisor to plan the scheduling of your remaining IIT courses. Many courses have pre-requisite requirements and it may benefit you to take these early enough to match the schedule of your intended major. For examples, view the specific requirements for Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Materials Science and Engineering.
Application — Free to Apply
Please mail supporting documents to:
Office of Undergraduate Admission
10 West 33rd Street
Perlstein Hall, Room 101
Chicago, IL 60616
Application Requirements and Steps
- Application for Admission
Submit your completed application online, including the personal essay. There is no additional essay required.
- Official School Transcripts
We require transcripts from all colleges attended, regardless of financial or academic standing, length of attendance, or length of time since attendance. Please request these transcripts from the office on your campus that handles student records. There is an optional College Report form via the Common Application that is available for you to request transcripts. This form can be found here.
- Letter of Recommendation
Common Application allows you to input a recommender name and recommender email address. This optional feature of Common Application will allow your recommender to submit a recommendation on your behalf directly to the IIT Office of Undergraduate Admission. In order to use this option, be sure to add an Academic Evaluator in the Recommenders and FERPA sections of the Common Application. You may also have your recommendation sent directly from your recommender to our Processing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. We accept recommendations from current or former professors, academic counselors/advisors, or employers. We require one letter of recommendation but up to three may be submitted. The Academic Evaluator form can be found here.
- Test Scores
If you have fewer than 30 semester hours of transferable college work earned after high school/secondary school graduation, you must submit:
- Official transcripts from all secondary schools attended
- ACT or SAT I scores
- If you are interested in any of our dual admission programs, please click here. Information about our special programs can be found here.
Transfer students may apply for either the fall or spring semester. Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Please complete your application as soon as possible. Applications for the fall semester are strongly encouraged to be completed by August 1. Applications for the spring semester are strongly encouraged to be completed by December 1.
Transfer applicants must be in good academic standing at the college most recently attended to be considered for admission to IIT. A minimum grade point average of a 3.0/4.0 scale is considered for admission, along with review of the entire application, including essay and letter(s) of recommendation. Students must also be in good financial standing at all previously attended colleges/universities. It is highly recommended that applicants have completed 30 semester hours of transferable college work, have taken physics and/or calculus, and are in good standing academically.
Transfer admission is based on a cumulative grade point average (GPA) and individual grades in all classes that apply to the major you wish to study at IIT.
Finances and Scholarships
Financial aid for new transfer students is processed by the Office of Financial Aid. IIT offers both need-based financial aid and merit scholarships.
All domestic transfer students are reviewed for Transfer Tuition Scholarships (starting at $10,000). In addition, students who are members of Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) are eligible for the Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship (up to $5,000 per year) upon proof of PTK membership at the time applications are reviewed. A student needs to be a PTK member for at least one semester prior to applying to Illinois Tech.
To be considered for financial aid at IIT, students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or renewal FAFSA. Designate "IIT" on the FAFSA with our Title IV code, 001691, so we will receive your electronic Student Aid Report (SAR).