English language proficiency must be demonstrated for admission. All international applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the PTE Academic Test.
If you are interested in applying for English Conditional Admission click here.
IIT's TOEFL code is 1318.
If you are taking the IELTS, request the scores to be sent to:
Illinois Institute of Technology
Office of Undergraduate Admission
Perlstein Hall, Room 101
10 West 33rd Street
Chicago, IL 60616, USA
The TOEFL is given in three formats: paper-based, computer-based, or internet-based. The following are minimum scores required depending on which format you complete. You must submit a score report from one these options. You must earn a minimum of one of the following:
- 550 on the paper test
- 213 on the computer-based test
- 80 on the Internet-based test
You must earn a minimum overall score of 6.5 on the IELTS.
On the PTE Academic Test, you must earn a 53 or better.
Note: If you do not meet our minimum English proficiency requirements you may be automatically placed into our Conditional English program. Additionally, if you meet our general English proficiency requirements but fall below a 15 on any subsection on the TOEFL or a 4.0 on any subsection on the IELTS you may also be automatically placed into our Conditional English program.
The English Proficiency Requirement may be waived if you:
- Have completed two consecutive years of study at a high school in the United States
- Were born and raised for at least five consecutive years in a country where the native or official language is English
- Completed your education (high school equivalent) in a country where the native or official language is English
- Have received our minimum required reading score on the college entrance exams of 25 for the ACT or 550 for the SAT.
- Transfer applicants may also have this requirement waived if they have completed a minimum of 60 credit hours at a U.S. college or university, excluding any coursework in English as a Second Language.
- Are an applicant from one of the following countries:
|Antigua and Barbuda
Papua New Guinea
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago