English language proficiency must be demonstrated for admission. Starting in the Spring 2015 applicants may apply for conditional English admission. Students may select this option on the Common Application. Further details will soon be posted about the admission process for Conditional English applicants. All international applicants, excluding those who meet the criteria to have their english proficiency waived as outlined below, are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the PTE Academic Test.
If you are interested in applying for English Conditional Admission click here.
English Proficiency Exams
IIT's TOEFL code is 1318.
If you are taking the IELTS, request the scores to be sent to:
Illinois Institute of Technology
Office of Undergraduate Admission
Perlstein Hall, Room 101
10 West 33rd Street
Chicago, IL 60616, USA
The TOEFL is given in three formats: paper-based, computer-based, or internet-based. The following are minimum scores required depending on which format you complete. You must submit a score report from one these options. You must earn a minimum of one of the following:
- 550 on the paper test
- 213 on the computer-based test
- 80 on the Internet-based test
You must earn a minimum overall score of 6.5 on the IELTS.
On the PTE Academic Test, you must earn a 53 or better.
Note: If you do not meet our minimum English proficiency requirements, or if there is evidence in your application that you need additional English training, you may be automatically placed into our Conditional English program. Additionally, if you meet our general English proficiency requirements but fall below a 15 on any subsection on the TOEFL or a 4.0 on any subsection on the IELTS you may also be automatically placed into our Conditional English program.
English Proficiency Requirement Waived
The English Proficiency Requirement may be waived if you:
- Completed at least two consecutive years of your education (high school equivalent) in the United States or one of the countries listed below
- Completed a CIEE Applicant Interview (New!)
- Have received a score of at least 550 on the Critical Reading section of the SAT, or a 25 on the English section of the ACT.
- Transfer applicants may also have this requirement waived if they have completed a minimum of 60 credit hours at a U.S. college or university, excluding any coursework in English as a Second Language.
- Are an applicant from one of the following countries:
|Antigua and Barbuda
Papua New Guinea
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago