International transfer students are those who are currently attending a university, or have attended a university after finishing secondary school. All students who fit either of these criteria are classified as transfer students, regardless of the amount of college credit completed.
In general, students with fewer than 30 semester hours of college work will have to submit their secondary school transcripts and test scores, despite being classified as a transfer student.
Requirements and Application Checklist
Apply as an International Transfer Student
Fall 2014 Applicants
The Common Application is now closed. Please use the IIT Undergraduate Application to submit your application for Fall 2014.
Spring 2015 and Fall 2015 Applicants
The 2015 Common Application will be available after August 1st.
- Complete the application for admission. There is no application fee to apply to IIT.
Please mail supporting documents to:
Illinois Institute of Technology
10 West 33rd Street
Perlstein Hall, Room 101
Chicago, IL 60616
- Submit official or certified copies of your transcript(s) from all universities/colleges you have attended to the IIT Office of Undergraduate Admission.
Provide course description or syllabi of courses completed at the university level. These descriptions must be translated into English. This may be done by the student applying for admission.
- Provide an official copy of the English proficiency TOEFL or IELTS score report. The code to send your scores to IIT is 1318.
- Provide a completed evaluation form or a letter of recommendation from one of your math, science, or english instructors. One letter is required but up to three are accepted. This letter should include information about your achievements and any other important information that will illustrate your potential at IIT.
- Submit IIT's Financial Affidavit of Support for F-1 or J-1 Students to demonstrate that you or your sponsor have available finances (minimum US$53,655) to meet the educational and living expenses while you are a student at IIT.
- Provide a copy of your passport. A copy of your passport is needed to fulfill the visa requirements.
- A student who has completed less than 30 credit hours at the university level must also complete the first-year application requirements.
If you are planning to transfer from a two-year college in the Chicago area, please refer to the transfer credit guidelines link below. The information provided is a guide for selecting courses from partner institutions for your major of interest.
For an unofficial transfer credit evaluation from any accredited four-year or two- year institution, use WebTreQer — a free online tool that allows you to see an unofficial audit of your courses.