First-year applicants are currently enrolled in secondary school, or have completed secondary school and have not attended a university outside of their secondary school experience.
This includes students who have taken A levels in English language courses as long as they have not completed university coursework. Sometimes, these students are also referred to as "freshmen," regardless of their class standing upon entering the university.
Requirements and Application Checklist
Apply as an International First-Year (Freshman) Student
Fall 2014 Applicants
The Common Application is now closed. Please use the IIT Undergraduate Application to submit your application for Fall 2014.
Spring 2015 and Fall 2015 Applicants
Please note: The Common Application cannot be completed on a mobile device.
- Complete the application for admission. There is no application fee to apply to IIT.
Please mail supporting documents to:
Illinois Institute of Technology
10 West 33rd Street
Perlstein Hall, Room 101
Chicago, IL 60616
- Submit official or certified copies of the marks or grades of courses completed prior to university or college entrance, as well as all board examination scores. Your transcripts must be official, sealed, and mailed to the address above. We do not accept electronic copies of transcripts.
- Take either the SAT I or ACT test and send the official scores directly from the testing center. The SAT code for IIT is 1318. The ACT code for IIT is 1040. We do not require that students take the SAT II subject tests.
- Provide an official copy of the English proficiency TOEFL or IELTS score report. The TOEFL code to send your scores to IIT is 1318.
- Provide a completed evaluation form or letter of recommendation from your counselor or a teacher (especially in the subjects of math, science, or english). One letter is required but up to three are accepted.
- Submit IIT's Financial Affidavit of Support for F-1 or J-1 Students to demonstrate that you or your sponsor have available finances (minimum US$53,655) to meet the educational and living expenses while you are a student at IIT.
- Provide a copy of your passport. A copy of your passport is needed to fulfill the visa requirements.